So I know when it comes to weight loss, what you are looking for is the same thing I was looking for. We all want the magic words that will turn back the dial on the scale as fast as we would like to reverse the hands of time. We want to know how we can do it, lose weight, look great and sexy, while doing the same thing we have been doing for so many years, that isn’t working. Eating too much, too late, not getting enough sleep, more than 2 glasses of wine on more than two nights per week, I know, I did it, I still do it, sometimes. Okay here are the magic words… “Yes, it is what you do everyday that matters, AND its what you do on most days that actually counts.”
There are 10 keys below. If you want to see sustained weight loss you must do all of these things everyday, yup, everyday. Since this is only a set of guidelines to live by, it will not give you an individualized plan. An individualized plan takes lots of work. If someone ever tries to give you a quick plan, without providing you a detailed questionnaire or interview, they are selling you false hope! The 10 guidelines below are only a place to start, but I guarantee you, if you follow them, all 10 on most days, you will feel better, look better, and weigh less.
Strive to do all 10 everyday, create a checklist and give yourself one point for each one you do. Some days you will do it, and some days you won’t. If you want to create sustained weight loss you must do all ten on most days. If you are doing between 8-10, you ROCK! If you are in a maintenance mode, or happy where you are then a score of 7-8 will keep you happy and healthy. If you score between 5-6, while it may be okay for short term emergencies, life happens, stay in that rang for too long and you are gonna be in trouble. Anything at 5 and below for sustained periods are going to spell danger! That is the time to reach out or help. So check it out! What category are you in?
1. Eat 6 small meals per day. Be sure that each meal contains 18-25 gms of clean protein and no more than three meals contain starchy carbs.
2. Get a kitchen scale, resign to weigh and measure EVERYTHING! And I do mean
3. No boxed or packaged food- Zero! That means ditching the cookies, chips, …..go on, put it in the trash. The only exceptions are food that comes in a box in the same, or close to, the state God intended. Oats, rice, Cream of Rice are good examples.
4. Substitute your fruit for veggies. Consume fruit only once per day and only as follows: 1/2 Grapefruit, or 5 Strawberries, or 1/3 c berries, or 1/2 apple or 1/2 avocado. Use it for your first meal on oats, or on top of greek yogurt, or on your salad at lunch. Eat veggies in the form of broccoli, (or other cruciferous veggies) green beans, asparagus, greens, spinach, peppers at five of your six meals. The fiber will serve to lower unhealthy cholesterol levels.
5. Use no seasonings except Mrs. Dash, fresh herbs, and fresh lemon juice. Pam
cooking spray for cooking.
6. Resign to eat only what you prepare, except for a once a week cheat meal. Make it your favorite, and eat out if you can. Something about having someone else do the prep and the clean up that makes it more enjoyable. Do not take home any leftovers!
7. You have to move at least 30 minutes everyday! Do anything, walk, run, treadmill, skip, stroll, just move!
8. Drink at least 1/2 your weight in ounces of water, plain water everyday. For a 140 pound woman that is at least 70 ounces.
9. Take a multivitamin everyday, and 1500 mg of vitamin C three times a day.
10. Get 8 hours of sleep if you can. When you deny yourself sleep your body responds by increasing Cortisol levels, and that in turn not only prevents weight loss but also creates excess abdominal fat.
Blessings to you on your journey to wellness!
Susan Thorn is a Registered Nurse and Life Coach. Her passion for health and wellness for others are the driving force in a life well lived.